FROM ONE OF THE WORLD’S MOST ACCLAIMED THEATER COMPANIES, A PERFORMANCE IN THREE PARTS ABOUT COMMUNION, DISTANCE, AND RECONNECTION.
A THOUSAND WAYS
by 600 HIGHWAYMEN
written & created by Abigail Browde & Michael Silverstone
Analog tools for coexistence
A THOUSAND WAYS is a three-part performance in which your words, actions, gestures, silence, thoughts, and willingness are the tools. With two people, a telephone, a table, and a stack of cards, a new type of performance emerges. Everything we need is already here, just you and me.
Obie Award-winning theater-makers, 600 HIGHWAYMEN, known for exhilarating performances that challenge the very definition of theater, have created a quietly radical response to this new world with A THOUSAND WAYS. Taking place over the next year, this three-part performance is designed in response to social distancing rules that deliver us from isolation to congregation. Each distinct installment meets participants where they are.
This is an invitation. Will you attend?
Part One: A Phone Call — September 9–September 27, 2020
Pick up the phone. Someone is on the line. You don’t know their name, and you still won’t when the hour is over, but as you follow the recorded instructions, a portrait of another person will emerge through fleeting moments of exposure.
Part Two: An Encounter — November 5-November 22, 2020
PURCHASE TICKETS HERE (In-person live performance at On the Boards)
Nested at the center of an empty space is a small table bisected by glass. You sit at the table, opposite a stranger, with a stack of index cards, a handful of objects, and a set of instructions to guide you. What will come from this? It is a chance at being heard, a brave moment to show up.
Please note that all performances of Part Two: An Encounter will be held in person at On the Boards (100 West Roy Street)
- Although this is a private encounter between you and a stranger, you will not be in physical contact in any way.
- There will be a glass partition between you and your partner the entire time.
- All props are either new for each performance or have been disinfected based on COVID protocols.
Click here to read On the Boards building safety agreement. All participants must confirm they have read this upon entering the building.
Download the digital program here.
Part Three: An Assembly – Summer 2021
Dates to be Announced in 2021
When we are ready, when it is safe, we will be together again. All of us who have met across phone lines and through glass panes will come together for the final act of this experience, co-created by all of us. It will feel new, and a bit scary, but that’s ok.
All offerings are designed around social distancing rules to meet participants where they are and when they are, and adhere to up-to-date safety protocol in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Tue, Dec 1, 2020 All Day
- Wed, Dec 2, 2020 All Day
- Thu, Dec 3, 2020 All Day
- Fri, Dec 4, 2020 All Day
- Sat, Dec 5, 2020 All Day
- Sun, Dec 6, 2020 All Day
- Mon, Dec 7, 2020 All Day
- Tue, Dec 8, 2020 All Day
- Wed, Dec 9, 2020 All Day
- Thu, Dec 10, 2020 All Day
- Fri, Dec 11, 2020 All Day
- Sat, Dec 12, 2020 All Day
- Sun, Dec 13, 2020 All Day
- Mon, Dec 14, 2020 All Day
- Tue, Dec 15, 2020 All Day
- Wed, Dec 16, 2020 All Day
- Thu, Dec 17, 2020 All Day
- Fri, Dec 18, 2020 All Day
- Sat, Dec 19, 2020 All Day
- Sun, Dec 20, 2020 All Day
- Mon, Dec 21, 2020 All Day
- Tue, Dec 22, 2020 All Day
- Wed, Dec 23, 2020 All Day
- Thu, Dec 24, 2020 All Day
- Fri, Dec 25, 2020 All Day
- Sat, Dec 26, 2020 All Day
- Sun, Dec 27, 2020 All Day
- Mon, Dec 28, 2020 All Day
- Tue, Dec 29, 2020 All Day
- Wed, Dec 30, 2020 All Day