Meditation: A Silent Prayer
How does art help you process or experience this moment in time?
Watch this Performance for free here.
Read these before watching, to track things as you watch the dance:
- What moments stand out to you?
- Think about what movements the dancers do, or sounds that you hear that stay with you after the piece ends.
- Consider what it means to see black and brown dancers onstage in this piece.
- Dance, joy, breath, and rest can all be acts of resistance to oppression and have been used by Black people throughout history to resist white supremacy. What do you see in this piece that might be considered an act of resistance?
- This piece premiered in 2018. How does it feel to watch it now in 2020, and how might it feel different or the same as in 2018?
- Did the piece give you a new perspective on the Black Lives Matter movement or the current protests to end police violence? If so how?
- What perspective did you gain?
- How does art help you process or experience this moment in time?
- How can art, or dance specifically, play a role in the fight for racial justice?
- A.I.M's company website. The A.I.M for Change section on the website has a very comprehensive list of resources as well.
- Dancing protests in the New York Times